Accident & Emergency Policy

Last Updated: 20 May 2018

It is my priority policy to keep children safe at all times when they are in my care. I risk assess my premises thoroughly to ensure it meets the safeguarding and welfare requirements of the Early Years Foundation Stage. I also regularly review, update and practise fire evacuation procedures. I record dates and times of fire drills.


As a registered childminder, I am legally required to have a valid paediatric first-aid certificate before registration and to ensure that my first aid training is renewed every 3 years. I last completed a paediatric first aid course in May 2018.

I can administer basic first-aid treatment, and my first-aid box is clearly labelled and easily accessible. I store one first aid box within the house, out of the reach of children, and another first aid box in the car, should it be required whilst out and about. Parents’ emergency contact numbers are kept securely with the first-aid box within the home and on my mobile, which is always carried with me on any trip outside.

I hold written permission from parents within the Child Record Form for each individual child, to seek emergency treatment for their child if it is needed.

I also have an arrangement with another registered childminder/responsible adult to provide emergency back-up cover if necessary, details below.


If there is an accident to a minded child or my own children:

  • First, I reassure the injured child while making sure that the other children in my care are safe. This may mean strapping a baby in a buggy or sitting an older child somewhere safe where I can see them.
  • Then, if the accident is a minor one and requires only basic first aid, I deal with it myself. If not, I will ring 999 (or 112 from a mobile) for help.
  • If I have to accompany or take a child to hospital, I will either take the other children with me, or call my emergency back-up cover. This will be another registered childminder or known responsible adult. These people will be made known to parents at the settling-in visit and are named below.

If there is an accident, my emergency back-up cover may contact you and you will be expected to collect your child straight away.

If it is appropriate to deal with the accident myself, then I will tell the affected child’s parents immediately and advise of any first aid treatment given.

If I accompany or take a child to hospital, I will contact the child’s parent and ask them to meet me at the hospital.

If I, or any of my own children have an accident, I will arrange for the nearest responsible adult to help, while my emergency back-up people are being contacted.

I will do my best at all times to make sure all children in my care are safe, reassured and kept calm.

Accidents Off Site:
I will carry parents’ contact details with me, on my mobile phone, when I am away from my home, in order to follow procedures above should an accident occur off site.
I will take a small first aid kit with me when away from home.


An incident is a non-medical emergency, which causes the need for an immediate response/change of routine in the setting.

I will use existing planned procedures as far as possible in the event of an incident, which affects my setting as follows:
Missing child – I will follow my Missing Child policy and procedure.
Gas leak/fire – I will follow my Emergency Evacuation procedure as detailed below.
Challenging/aggressive behaviour of a child – I will follow my Behaviour Management policy and procedure.
Flooding – I will monitor the situation and follow my Emergency Evacuation procedure if necessary.
Threatening behaviour of an adult – I will seek to remove the children from the situation to a safe place and if necessary and when safe to do so I will call 999.

I will contact parents as soon as possible so that if necessary they can collect their child.

Emergency evacuation procedure

Should an emergency occur that requires me to leave the setting, the following procedure will apply:

  • Ensure that all children in the setting are present.
  • Evacuate to a safe area (using a buggy/ reins if there is time to do so)
  • I will contact the emergency services on 999 (or 112)
  • I will reassure the children and make sure they are not unduly upset
  • I will contact the parents and let them know the situation
  • If I have to take the children to another setting (for example to the home of my emergency back-up cover) then I will contact the parents and ask them to collect their child as soon as possible.

Other Emergencies:
Should any other emergency occur (such as a terrorist attack, or a member of my family becoming ill in my home) I will contact parents as soon as possible. I expect that parents will also contact me in the event of any accident or emergency which may befall them.
Should it not be possible for parents to contact me, I will keep the children safe until such time as parents can reach me.

I will record all details in my accidents & incident book, and make these available for parents to sign and provide a copy for parents. I will ensure that all completed forms are stored in accordance with my confidentiality policy.
If the accident is significant e.g. if a child is taken to hospital for a broken bone, I will inform Ofsted, the local child protection agency, the Health and Safety Executive and my insurance company as soon as is reasonably practicable, but in any event within 14 days of the accident occurring.

Childminder's Name Marie Smale
Date the Policy was Written 20th May 2018
Date the Policy was Last Reviewed 20th May 2019
Date the Policy is Due for Review 20th May 2020

This policy supports the following requirements and standards:

Meeting the Early Years Foundation Stage Safeguarding and Welfare and Ofsted Requirements

Health, accident or injury

Ofsted Registration Number: EY559909